March 4, 2008

Who is Jared working for anyway?

I get questions from people occasionally trying to figure out who I am actually working for or what i am doing throughout the days. I've put off writing about it for awhile, but thought i would bring everyone up to speed now...

I had worked for Jensen Design Build for about 4 1/2 years when my time there was up in December. They "encouraged" me to go elsewhere because my job had been to run new construction projects, and there weren't any new projects to run, making me somewhat of an expensive handyman/snow shoveler/whatever guy. I had turned down a couple other job opportunities before that, but ended up working out a deal with Duane Jensen (J-Corp) (the brother of the owner of JDB) where i would run a large project for him starting this spring. I started with J-Corp the beginning of January and have been doing some pre-construction work with the Ag Leader job and have helped with other projects they have going as well.

This move has created a great scenario for me because the flexibility now allows me to more aggressively pursue my own business of home building while still having some income from my work with J-Corp. The plan is once our current house sells, my new company - Willis Custom Homes - will begin a couple houses this spring/summer and hopefully a couple more this fall.

Hopefully by the time my project with J-Corp ends this next winter, I will be able to strictly run WCH full time and use all my time to play a more active role in each house, saving money for the buyer and keeping me on the site so work gets done as it should in a timely manner.

The new logo was developed by my friend Ben Bradley and hopefully will soon be seen popping up on signs around Ames.


Hopefully this wasn't too confusing and brings you up to date on what has been going on business-wise in my life recently.

No comments: