September 10, 2008

Our new bed

For about a year now, Allison has been wanting me to make a bed frame. It was supposed to be for Christmas last year, then her birthday, etc, etc. I never got around to making it until a few weeks back I decided it was time. She had been real patient and I finally wanted to start working on it.

She gave me a 2” picture of one from a magazine from which to base the design on. With little to go on, I pretty much just starting cutting boards with no clear idea on how it would all shake out. Eventually it started looking like something and I devised a clever way to make it disassemble quickly too.

Overall it only took part of a couple Saturdays, part of Labor Day and some evenings to bang out. She loves it and even I think it turned out halfway decent.





The funniest part of the whole project was when Allison and I were staining, her ponytail fell into the gallon of stain. Me, being the clever person that I am, simply grabbed the scissors and took care of the problem, but not before I got a picture. I think her hair looks fabulous now. One more way to save money – free haircuts!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, sometimes I stalk your blog after reading what Jason and Brenda are up to, and I feel compelled to comment on this one.

Corey was planning to make me a bed as a wedding gift. We will celebrate our 10th anniversary in 2 months and I have yet to see that bed become a reality. Oh well, maybe by our 20th!! At least he finished the baby crib while our babies still needed it.

Paige at The Minivan Voorsts said...

oh my goodness...what a pretty bed! i really like it!