May 28, 2008

Movie Review - Prince Caspian

I have been extremely excited to see the second Chronicles of Narnia movie ever since I heard that they were making it into a movie. Typically, Jared and I do not go to a movie unless it is at the dollar theater, but this was one of the exceptions.

Let me just start off by letting ya'll know that I am a pretty big fan of the Chronicles of Narnia books and C.S. Lewis. I think he was given an amazing talent as an author which is definitely evident in both his fiction and non-fiction books.

Anyways, back to the movie....This is just my opinion about the movie and let me remind everyone that I have no experience what so ever critiquing movies. Oh, and I won't ruin the movie for those who haven't been able to see it yet.

Did I like the movie?
Yes.

Was is like the book?
No, not really. It did have the same "basic" story line but A LOT was added and the order in which things occurred in the book didn't match up to the order in which they happened in the film.

Would I recommend seeing the movie?
Yes, it is a great movie to see if you like fantasy movies. Plus you don't have to worry about any bad language or nudity. Always an added benefit when seeing a movie.

Is it appropriate for children?
I would say it depends on their ages. There are battles like in the first movie and a few other scenes that might frighten small children. Also, if your child saw the first movie, you would probably be ok letting them see this one. If you have concerns I would preview it first then you would know for sure if you want your kids to see it.

Overall thoughts:
The movie in general was good. I was quite disappointed though with how much the storyline was different from the book. Some of my disappointments included adding unnecessary scenes, deleting aspects of the story that help explain things more clearly, deleting or limiting the moral lessons that were more evident in the book, changing character personalities, and making the film much more darker than how I pictured the story in my mind.

After all that....Don't get me wrong I definitely would see the movie again and think that if you haven't read the book then you will probably enjoy the movie and not be as critical as I am. I know that if I would have just saw the movie and not read the book I would have loved it! Mostly because I wouldn't know what I was missing.

No comments: