November 5, 2008

Whatchu talkin bout Willis Wednesday

The election is finally over. I gotta tell you, I'm going to miss all the campaigning. Frequent phone calls just to hear recordings, negative ads, that one positive ad that ran briefly, signs in yards and all the "he said, she said" comments.

My questions are these: Has anyone ever actually decided who to vote for based on a yard sign? How about a phone recording? Is anyone dumb enough to really believe all the tv ads about how your life will essentially be destroyed unless you vote for this candidate.

It wasn't a surprise to me that Obama won. From the first time I heard him speak, I knew he could sway people and get them excited by the rhetoric he used. Young people and new voters apparently chose him over 2-1. Partially because I think people of my generation are always looking for the next best thing. People want the newest phone, Ipod, gaming system, car, rush, you name it, people want it if its popular. Obama was popular. He created an image of a person people would want to follow.

I don't really buy into the idea that either candidate will change my life significantly. A few hundred on my taxes either way isn't that big of deal. My health care is fine. The state of the economy falls mostly into the eyes of the beholder. I don't (and you probably shouldn't either) have the audacity to claim to know what is best in Iraq.

What this election came down to for me more than anything else was knowing at least two judges may need replaced during this presidency. I know McCain and Obama would nominate very different people and that, more than anything else I believe, could change the future of our nation.

That's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. That's part of what makes this country so great.

1 comment:

todd said...

agreed. obama is a rockstar. God is still the God of our nation. i'm glad we can't vote Him out. like you, my primary concern was focused on the supreme court as well. i also hope the gop selects a better candidate next time, someone i can get excited about.