November 9, 2008

Another weekend, another loss

It's not easy being an ISU fan.

From the time I was old enough to realize the differences between football, basketball and winning and losing, it's been rough - cause Iowa State does a lot more losing than winning. The majority of my classmates growing up were Hawkeye fans, even though usually their affiliation with the school was exactly zero. However, their ridicule was relentless. At least I had a reason to be a Cyclone - I've had relatives going there off and on since the 1800's and would eventually go there myself.

That doesn't make it any easier though. I'm always so hopeful, so full of excitement that this may be the year. Unfortunately each year proves to be pretty much the same, with only a few more glimmers of hope from year to year.

This season once again afforded us the opportunity to see rest of the Big 12 from the very bottom looking up. We've had our chances, only to beat ourselves when it mattered. No conference wins, lots of heartache.

Yesterday's loss at the goal line of Colorado was just another straw in the haystack of despair. So close, yet so far away. The win just wasn't within reach, we had ahold of it, only to let it slip through our fingers as the fat lady belted out that oh-so familiar tune.

The bright spot is at least we know we are bad. We have no significant years of success to compare to, to still revel in, to still bring up in conversations as if it really mattered.

I still love being a Cyclone and always will. The losing builds character. At least that's what I tell myself.

----

Believe it or not, I actually secretly predicted a Penn State loss in Iowa City. I only ventured to tell a few people as I didn't want to get laughed at. Not to take anything away from Iowa, because they played great and did everything they needed to do, but I believe the Big 10 is average at best and Penn State's cupcake schedule made them look way better than they are.

Plus this loss hopefully keeps the Big 10 from being humiliated again for the 4th time in 3 years on the national stage.

2 comments:

todd said...

agreed about not sending a big ten team to the title game. texas tech is ridiculous. it would be nice to see a big 12/sec title game this year. regardless of whether that is bama or florida (pending the winner of that title game) or t-tech/texas/oklahoma pending the winner of that title game.

jared said...

I just looked and saw Iowa State is ranked 99th out of 120 D-1 schools. Nice!