April 2, 2008

WTBW? Wednesday

There are very few shows that I really enjoy watching every week. One of those shows is the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" on ABC on Sunday night. It is one show that actually brings out the best in people. People line up by the hundreds to help build a house for someone they may barely even know because, I believe, deep down somewhere in almost everybody, there is a selflessness about them which brings great joy knowing they made a difference in a fellow man's life.

While I was watching that show a couple weeks back, I became intrigued by commercials for the show to follow Extreme Makeover. It was called "Oprah's Big Give." Thankfully, it's not really about Oprah at all or it would have been turned off quite quickly. The premise of the show is contestants have to be creative in finding ways to help others. That particular episode, contestants were each given 100,000 dollars cash to give away in 8 hours. The catches were 1. No more than 5oo per person. 2. No more than 10,000 could be bought at one store. 3. No cash could be given directly to anyone (you had to buy things for people, etc)

It sounds easy, but people had a rough time. Lots of groceries got paid for. Lots of people got free appliances, gift cards, etc. The loser of that episode managed to only give away about 12,000.

It made me think what I would do if given that opportunity. I definitely hoped I wouldn't be the contestant who took all day to seek out the perfect animal shelter and buy ridiculous things for a bunch of cats. I would want to be the one who was able to help as many people as possible.

After the show was over, I was still thinking about the practical application. I doubt anyone reading this blog has 100,000 dollars to give away. But we all have ways we could bless others. How many of us have a friend who could maybe use a phone call and just intend to listen? Does anyone have a smile and a word of encouragement for the person behind you in the checkout lane? Ever assist anyone stranded along the road?

It's easy to turn our eyes and pretend we didn't see someone in need. I was humbled...... By Oprah.

1 comment:

clarkitect said...

Jared-
I have found you, and I like what I read. Glad to see you guys made number one. Catch you on the flip side.