April 11, 2008

Car Repairs

Allison's car had a headlight burn out a long time ago. I've been meaning to get it fixed for awhile now and finally decided last night was the night.

I've changed plenty of headlights before in my vehicles and friends' so I told Allison it only takes a few seconds to actually change. Little did I know what I was in for. I think the people who actually assemble these engines must have the hand size of a 9 year old. Unbelievable.

There was about a 2 inch wide gap to get my hand down where it needed to be, then I had to unscrew this 3 inch wide cap. Following that, there was a electrical connection to take off, followed finally unhooking this paper clip looking thing on a spring that actually held the light in.

It didn't take incredibly long to get out, but getting the new one in was a challenge. To hook the paper clip thing, you had to almost see what you were doing. But I had a choice, you can either see what you are doing, or have your hand down in there, not both.

In the end, I managed to get it put back together after a 20-30 minute frustrating battle. Here is a pic of how much room there was. The bulb sits back inside there even farther.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time take out the three screws that hold the light assembly in place and pull the whole thing out. It is about a 30 second change after that.

Jason

The Pelhams said...

Andy is guessing you own a Kia Optima judging by your description and picture! He wants to know if he is right?? (Jason's advice would have been handy before your battle!!)