February 15, 2011

What A Week!!

Here is a recap of what last week looked like for me.

Monday: Typical day until about 4:00 when call Jared and ask him to come home early because I'm having sever chest pains. Jared gets home around 4:30 and by 5:00 he decides that it is best for me to go to the ER.

The doctors do all sorts of tests. They all come back negative except I test positive for pregnancy. Big no HUGE surprise. The positive pregnancy test limits the amount of other tests that the doctors are able to do.

The doctors give me some really strong pain medicine to help knock out the pain. I get sent home with pain meds and told that the chest pain was caused by a pulled/teared muscle around my lung and that it should correct itself.

Tuesday: Typical day. No pain. Really starting to sink in that we are pregnant.

Wednesday: My parents come up for the day to spend time with the kids. Around 11:00 I call Jared and ask him to come home because the chest pain is back. We decide to skip the ER because they were not that helpful last time and decide to go to the Iowa Heart Center instead. After extreme pain and a bunch of cardio tests, the heart specialist found nothing wrong and suggested that we go back to the ER because they can give me something for the pain.

We end up back in the ER and the doctors do more blood work and give me more pain medicine. The results come back from my blood work and it looks like I have had a miscarriage. Shock and disbelief hit me like a lead balloon.

The doctors think that a CT scan will help answer what is causing the chest pain (and now that I have miscarried that this test will be safe to run)

The results from the CT scan of my chest shows nothing abnormal. Once again I'm sent home with pain meds. But this time the doctor tells me nothing is wrong and that sometimes people have symptoms and yet there is nothing medically wrong with them.

Thursday: I am still having some pain but it is in the from of pressure in my abdomen.

Jared talks to a couple of doctor friends that he has (one of which is a cardiologist). They recommend that we make an appointment with my OB to double check for sure that I indeed had a miscarriage and have an ultra sound done to rule out a tubal pregnancy. (because as our friend the cardiologist informs us tubal pregnancies can sometimes cause chest pain)

We take their advice (which is a gift from God) and make an appointment on Friday with an OB. Not my OB because he is out of the office until Monday (go figure).

Friday: We take Colin to his 9 month appointment at 8:30. Luckily my dad is around to watch Makenna while we are at the appointment and offers to stay for my OB appointment at 11:15. I'm still in discomfort even while taking vicodin.

We head to the appointment inform the OB about my week and ask if we should have an ultra sound done. He is hesitant because he doesn't think there is a correlation between the two but agrees all the same.

Have a ultra sound done. The tech finds a cyst and says the OB will talk to us about it.

We get back to our room and the OB comes in and very straight forward tells us that the cyst is 7cm and appears to be about the size of a grapefruit. SHOCK hits me once again. He continues to tell us that he recommends surgery and that he would like to schedual the surgery that afternoon. SHOCK hits me again.

After making the necessary phone calls to get the kids taken care of, we walk across the street to the hospital to get admitted for out patient surgery. CRAZY!!

The time is sometime around 2:00 and I'm getting ready for a surgery that should last 30-45 minutes. At 3:15 they take me to pre-op and I get all the typical tube and cords attached to my body for surgery. I am then informed that I will have a breathing tube inserted for surgery. I don't like this one bit and now I'm terrified. (if you know me at all you know how much I dislike medical equipment attached to my body)

I have no idea what time I got out of surgery, I'm sure Jared could tell you. All I know is that it took about 3 hours. (a lot longer than expected). They got rid of the cyst that was on my right ovary and while they were in there they found some damage done to my left ovary and fallopian tube. The OB is pretty sure that the damage was from a tubal pregnancy that somehow exploded (I couldn't come up with a better term). As a result, they had to remove part of my left fallopian tube and ovary because the damage was so severe.

My chest pain has not returned and the OB thinks that all the problems with my female parts contributed to that.

We can still have kids.

I'm recovering from surgery.

I can praise God that He had control over the whole situation and He knew that this pregnancy was not meant to be carried out normally.

I know He loves me and our baby that was lost.

I am grieving and I am thankful both at the same time.


Dorothy said...

Wow. What a week. I am so sad for your loss, but so grateful that you are okay. I'll be praying for you.

Kirstin said...

What a week on highs and lows!! We are praying for you and your family.