July 30, 2007

Keys?

For the first 28 years of my life, i never had a problem with losing keys. That was before my wedding day. In case you haven't heard the story, here it is...

Allison's brother, Jason, drove Allison's car to the church that day. He handed me the keys and thats all I remember of the exchange. Awhile later Allison's dad asked for them to put some things in the car. It was quickly discovered no one could find them anywhere. I think 15 people dug through everything i brought to the church, my backpack, clothes, truck, everything. We didn't find them and ended up driving our photographers car to the reception.

Allison's dad agreed to make two keys for us while we were on our honeymoon and we would just leave the car at the church in the mean time. Well, the last night of the honeymoon, they showed up in my backpack. Yes, the same backpack everyone had looked through so many times.

While this is a kinda funny story, it more importantly introduces a new phase of forgetfulness in my life. Ever since that time, i have been quite paranoid about losing keys. About once a week, sometimes more, i'll begin to almost panic when i can't find my keys. half the time i find them 10 minutes later somewhere crazy or sometimes in my pocket.

Today i was sitting in my truck after work in the parking lot of our apartment....looking for my apartment keys. i was digging through everything looking for them. Then Allison pulled up beside me and i figured i'd just forget about it for now and she could let us in. as i shut the door to the truck, i locked it, KNOWING i had the truck key in my pocket. when we got upstairs, i found out i had the apartment keys in my pocket but no truck key. Yes, i had locked them in the truck...with the spare set.

Luckily i had left the window down about an inch or less, so i knew i could find a way to get in. As i stood there staring at my garage full of potential jimmys, i finally grabbed a tool i thought would work, walked to my truck and in 5 seconds had the door unlocked. the tool? a 25' Stanley Fat Max Tape measure i had gotten for our wedding.

The moral of the story? Always ask for my keys when you are with me.

2 comments:

Brenda Rae said...

maybe this is a trait that I brought into the family. I am known for losing my keys!!! I think it is easier not to lock the car and leave the keys in there!

jags said...

i have heard that you have nothing to worry about if you know they are keys - its when you don't know what they are - that's when you have a problem!!!

i know what santa can bring you now - bet you can't wait to find out...