July 8, 2009

Whatchu talkin bout Willis Wednesday

It seems like I start all my posts with, "It's been awhile since I've posted..."  This week is no different.  At any rate:

-Allison and Makenna spent a little over a week in Texas visiting Allison’s sister’s family.  While I was proud of how much work I got done in their absence, I missed them being here even more.


-Makenna stands on her own for quite awhile now.  She also will sometimes “kiss” on command.  It’s so much fun to watch her learn so much.  


-I’m quite tired of hearing about Michael Jackson.  I’m equally as tired of hearing how people are tired of hearing about Michael Jackson.


-On a positive MJ subject, he used to be quite normal.  Allison and I enjoyed watching a couple Jackson 5 videos on Youtube.  One video got even better once I noticed some increasingly super sweet dancing by a guy in the audience beginning around 2 minutes and really going to town around 2:30.


-I guess the U.S.Soccer team won a big match the other day.  In a related story, people everywhere were shocked to learn the U.S. has a soccer team.


-With the swearing in of MN senator Al Franken and past governership of Jesse Ventura, I wonder if any of Iowa’s two or three minor celebrities are considering a run.  Tom Arnold for house speaker maybe?


-I saw Transformers 2 last week.  While being pleasantly surprised by the first one last year, I was expecting too much I guess.  It could have been so much better.  Really, do robots need to swear?


-Yesterday a big storm developed mid afternoon.  It was fun seeing all the workers on my jobsite scramble to get their work done.  I think I even saw one guy running.  


With all the changes this country sees, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking maybe our founding fathers ideals aren't necessarily relevant as much anymore.  Then I read a quote like the following and again realize they are smarter than way more of the general public.  From Thomas Jefferson, to his daughter Martha:


"But I know nothing more important to inculcate into the minds of young people than the wisdom, the honor, and the blessed comfort of living within their income, to calculate in good time how much less pain will cost them the plainest stile of living which keeps them out of debt, than after a few years of splendor above their income, to have their property taken away for debt when they have a family growing up to maintain and provide for."


If only the colleges taught like this in the freshman orientation classes.


No comments: