April 7, 2009

How-To Tuesday

How To Make A Decorative Plaque

I don't remember where I got this idea but I am always looking for ways to use scrap pieces of wood since we seem to have a bunch. I wonder why?

What you will need:
  • scrap wood
  • sand paper
  • paint and paint brush
  • bible verse of your choice
  • tools or whatever else you see fit to destroy the wood a bit
First, sand down the piece of wood and round the edges just a little.

Next, give the plaque a destroyed look. I did this by taking a hammer and banging on it. I also used a chisel to make the sides uneven. (When I did this, it made Jared a little nervous as I was using the chisel the wrong way.)

Then pick out or mix a paint color you like and paint the piece of wood.

After it is completely dry you can add you bible verse. To be honest I don't have a great way to do this because when I tried to use a very small paintbrush the lettering smudged too much. So what I ended up using was a snapped in half toothpick to paint on the lettering and verse. This worked pretty well for me. I do have to give Jared the problem solving credit since he came up with the toothpick idea.

Here is a picture of the finished project.

1 comment:

Mandy B Stenberg said...

Very cute. Just a hint . . . at most craft spots (Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby) they sell "paint pens" that write wonderfully for these type projects!