February 5, 2008

car repairs

i bought my truck when i graduated college in 2001. It was two years old already, making it 9 years old now. I've been blessed that it has run so well for me for this long. Even so, it really stinks when it is time for repairs.

Today i was parked at Kum and Go getting gas. as i went to leave, i immediately thought i was sliding, but it was snowing and i had it in 4 wheel drive, so i didn't think much of it. well, about 30 feet later, i knew i was driving kinda sideways so i got out to look for anything obviously wrong, like a wheel off. Nothing out of the ordinary so i tried driving again. now i knew there was a problem since it wouldn't go forward. nuts.

luckily i still had reverse, so backed up out of the way and contemplated my options. one wheel wasn't turning so i could (a.) try to fix it myself even though i really don't know what was wrong (b.) call a tow truck (c.) drive it to a repair shop - its slick, that wheel can just slide (d.) rig some sort of contraption that would allow for the wheel to be elevated and let the other 3 wheels drive and brake.

i ended up decided a tow truck was my best option. 30 minutes and 100 bucks later, the truck and i were at the repair shop. a friend gave me a ride home and soon i got the analysis...broken axle drum, leaking brake line, bad rear master cylinder, bad johnson rod, blinker fluid was empty and i needed a new muffler belt. or something. "it will be at least 645 dollars, but we'll get you safe again...." great. fantastic. no coupon to trickles auto repair.

yeah, it wasn't a great day, but at least it didn't happen while i was driving down the interstate or in the middle of the night. right?

2 comments:

Brenda Rae said...

I am curious on how much the blinker fluid was because they charged me an arm and a leg for mine!

The Pelhams said...

That was so funny to read, Andy and I were laughing!! I hope you didn't get conned into the blinker fluid or the johnson rod!! Too bad we didn't live in Ames, Andy would do it for you for the cost of the parts!
Andy and Shannon