November 3, 2007

Cyclone football

As you all know, I love going to cyclone games...the atmosphere, the fans, the band, the team (sometimes) and the free t-shirts. yes, free shirts. after touchdowns and during some breaks, t-shirts get shot out into the crowd for who ever can get to them the fastest. usually when i hear the loud pop of the launcher, my head looks up into the sky with hopes it may actually come my way. but with 50,000 people and like 9 shirts, the odds aren't in my favor...until today.

midway through the first quarter, ISU was leading and my eyes were focused on the mega-tron watching a replay or something, until i sensed something right by my face. yes, it turns out a shirt had been shot directly to me and the guy in front of me caught it right before it hit me in the head. i couldn't believe. i thought my day was ruined. the chance of a lifetime and i missed it.

in a strange twist of fate, i later heard the loud pop again and saw a shirt flying high above my head heading my way. it all happened in slow motion like an overly dramatic replay. slowly my eyes focused as i watched it spiral in a direct path to where i was standing. "no way this is heading my way. how long until i get shoved in the back and miss it again? will it fall short? can i make the catch" i thought as destiny began to reveal itself. i stuck my arms freezing cold arms out and made a perfect sideline catch. excitement spewed out from all those around as i raised my shirt in a statement of triumph. fittingly, my celebration was able to continue all game as my cyclones pulled out win number two. Go Clones!!

No comments: