January 14, 2009

Whatchu talkin bout Willis Wednesday

It's cold, snowy, and windy. It's winter in Iowa.........so what else is new?

Yet for some reason, most people love to talk about it. All the time.

Extra! Extra! It's cold out!

Sure I like to know what the forecast is so I can plan a little bit, but no matter what, life goes on. The difference between 2 inches and 4 inches of snow isn't that much, nor is the difference between a high of 24 versus 30. When it's really cold like today, throw on an extra jacket, plan for the worst, and still go about your day.

I find it annoying how news stations make weather so dramatic. Artic Blast! Breaking News! Blizzard! Operation Winter Storm! It's like there is some sort of contest to see which station can "sell" the most weather drama to get people to watch.

Now to do my part to contribute to the madness......My driveway approach from the street used to be 30 feet wide. Every time it snows, the piles on each side get closer and closer from shoveling, and the distance has now shrunk to about 17 feet. And they are now as tall as I am. I'm jealous of those who use snowblowers as my back feels like I got a massage by an angry elephant.

I'm glad that January is almost half over and will be glad when warm weather is back. In the meantime, I'll try and enjoy winter and it's unpredictability while keeping only one eye on the weather.

No comments: